Monday, June 15, 2009

What Are You Talking About?

John 1: 15

Don't you just hate it when you are trying to explain something to someone or convince them of something and they just aren't getting it? It's very frustrating. I have to qualify that a little by saying that the confusion doesn't necessarily mean that the other person is at fault . Sometimes, the right words just don't come out and we become the source of confusion. I hate that, and it seems to be happening more and more the older I get.
One of my favorite movies is "What about Bob?" If you haven't seen it, it is about a psychiatrist / patient relationship in which the patient Bob ( played by Bill Murray ) becomes fixated and a "tad bit clingy" with his psychiatrist ( played by Richard Dreyfuss ). My favorite scenes are when Bob shows up at the doctor's summer home while they are on vacation and he just won't leave. The doctor finally, on the verge of a breakdown, rages at Bob and throws him out of the house, slamming the door. His wife is chastising her husband for being so rude and angry, but is relieved that at least Bob is now gone.
The doctor, who has been trying desperately to convince his wife of the reality of Bob's dependence screams " He's not gone!", opens the front door only to find Bob with his faced pressed against the screen. "SEE!? It's very funny.
I've often thought of the frustration that John the Baptist must have felt as he was trying to convince people that Jesus was coming. He preached until he was blue in the face and still there were those who were not convinced. In fact there were many! Finally, after what must have seemed like a very long time for John. Jesus did arrive. And I love what John says!
"Here is the one I have been telling you about!" In other words, SEE!?
After all those frustrating rejections, John finally gets to prove, once and for all what he's been talking about so vehemently.
It makes me think about what I've been talking about lately, and to be honest, it hasn't been about God very often. It's been mostly about music and politics. I just haven't been talking to people about Jesus much. Shame on me. I guess I'm being a little self centered about this, but I want to be able to say, when Jesus returns " Hey, this is the Jesus I have been telling you about! SEE!?"
I need to place more importance and put forth more effort into my personal evangelism and discipleship.
Have you been talking about Jesus to others? I hope so. If not, I hope you will start.

It's like Red Bull for the Soul. SEE!?

No comments: