Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Problem With Prayer

A couple of weeks ago I was feeling bad about my lack of a consistent quiet time with God. I decided that I had to do something about it. I just wasn't sure exactly how to go about it. ( Isn't it curious how sometimes I think I finally got a handle on some of the important questions about God, but then a simple thing like devotions can throw me for a loop? Go figure.)
So as I was driving home that evening, tossing out thoughts about where and when to have this time with God, I was totally unaware that God was already working on it for me. My wife, as she is prone to do quite often, was rearranging the furniture in our house. When I walked in the door, one of the first things she did was walk me out to our sun room and said. " I made you a little nook out here to have your devotions in." Thanks Diane for following the Spirit's leading on this one.
Every once in a while God just goes upside my head with a spiritual 2 x 4! Because sometimes that's just what it takes. I now have a nice place to meet with God. That was a few weeks ago. I've used it three times. What the?
As I have admitted in the past, for some reason prayer comes hard for me. I'm easily distracted, and often struggle for the right things to say. I still refuse to buy into all of the prayer programs and processes that flood the book stores and the internet. I am convinced that a good prayer life shouldn't be this hard, but it still is. I am equally convinced that with God all things are possible, and we can overcome this together.
I guess the main reason for writing this is to ask for your help by praying for me. I have every intention of going home tonight and getting full use of my prayer nook. Would you pray for me? Even if you read this long after it is posted, I would greatly appreciate your prayers.
I know that Jesus gave us an example as to what to pray. The Lord's Prayer is amazing, and I found a very cool translation of it the Message version of God's Word. ( I know, I know, just roll with me on this one) I intend to have this posted somewhere in my prayer space. Enjoy!

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what’s best, as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You're ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes.

(Sheesh Garry! What's so hard about that?)
Prayer is like Red Bull for the Soul!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Very cool,... pray for me too, in this, k?