Thursday, November 12, 2009

Shout to the Lord!

Mark 10: 46-52

I read this passage just before going to bed the other night, and because of that I lost an hour or so of sleep. The story of Bartimeaus is not new to me, but I couldn't shake what I had just read. I think it was because I really needed to hear this passage at this particular point of my journey. Bartimeaus was determined to get Jesus' attention, and the only means available for him to do that was his voice. He shouted, and shouted. Amidst all of the noise and bustle of activity, even when told by others to keep quiet, he continued to shout.

I am convinced that Jesus heard him the first time. Why He didn't answer him right away is unknown to me. Maybe He was testing Bartimeaus to see how serious and determined he was. I don't know. But eventually Jesus did answer him. The Message version says that Jesus "stopped in His tracks", and told his disciples to call Bartimeaus over to Him.

"What can I do for you?" Jesus says, and Bartimeaus gives a simple but powerful answer. "Rabbi, I want to see." Jesus looked at him and said, "On your way, your faith has saved and healed you."

There is so much that needs to be said here that I can't even begin to scratch the surface. There is an old cliché that says, " It's all over but the shouting."
In this case it might be best to rephrase it as "Nothing matters but the shouting."

We need to be shouting at, or calling out, to God on a daily basis. In good times or bad, our shout to God is of the utmost importance. No matter the situation, shout to God.

- When life seems as if it couldn't get any worse, SHOUT to the Lord!
- When life seems as if it couldn't get any better, SHOUT to the Lord!
- When the noise of everyday life seems to drown you out, SHOUT to the Lord!
- When, like with Bartimeaus, people tell you to be quiet, SHOUT to the Lord!
- When people who say they are followers of Christ act like they are anything but, SHOUT to the Lord!
- When you feel as if God is far, far away, SHOUT to the Lord!
- When God doesn't answer you right away, keep on SHOUTING!

Jesus hears you and He will stop in His tracks.

And your faith will save and heal you.

It's like Red Bull for the soul!

No comments: