Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Lost Art of Conversation

To me there are few things better in life than getting together with friends over a cup of coffee or a glass of wine and having a good conversation. Whether the topic is everyday life, or something more specific, it fascinates me to hear what others have to say. It always serves to give me some food for thought and to possibly look at things from a different perspective.

Unfortunately, I am convinced that good conversation is a lost art. Today, people just can't get together for a good talk. With all of the technological advances in the past decade, there really is no need for people to actually converse with one another anymore. You can use Facebook, My Space, Twitter, text messaging, or email to convey your message to someone without even hearing thier voice or interacting with them. In most cases, we don't even take the time to spell out the whole word. Everything is abbreviated. That's how little we care about conversation in this day and age. I actually heard someone say not too long ago that they still write letters to family and friends. It blew me away. This person really cares enough to sit down and write a letter? That's amazing.
I am considering having some sort of gathering on a regular basis where I can meet with people I care about and just talk and share about anything that we want. No set agenda. There will be one rule however. Shut your cell phones off. The world can get by without us for a little while.

What prompted me to write on this subject was, of all things, prayer. I've decided to make 2010 a year of prayer for me. Why? Because I have lost the art of conversation when it comes to talking with God.

Anytime I wish to get to know someone better, it takes face to face conversation. I firmly believe that you cannot get to know someone any other way. Lately, the conversation between God and myself consists of a quick one-liner thrown His way a couple of times a day. Usually, when the roads are slippery or an unexpected need arises. I realize now that those one-line prayers are the spiritual equivalent of updating my Facebook status. I don't really care enough to talk to God, I'm just updating Him on what I need.

The bible says in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

Well, if that's the will of God, what choice do I really have? I need to actually converse with God, and have a two way conversation. As I said earlier, the aspect of a good conversation that I enjoy the most is to discover what other people have to say. I resolve myself to finding out what God has to say. I want to become a man of prayer this year. I plan on having many, many conversations with my Creator. I intend to revive the art of conversation.

It's like Red Bull For The Soul!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I'm struggling with the same thing, and my prayer life with God right now is very sporadic. I'm trying to find sustainable habits and am having difficulty.