Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sorry Freddie

I used to have a goat for a pet. His name was Freddie. Now you might say that a goat is a rather unusual pet and you would be right. However, Freddie was very, very cool. If I was outside, he was never more than a few feet away from me, and if he would get too busy eating and lose track of me, he would panic and run around the house until he found me. My Dad even let Freddie come in the house a couple of times. ( I know….redneck ).
I remember one time when I was goofing around outside with some friends of mine and we accidentally trampled one of my Dad's flower beds. Big mistake. Dad was real fond of those flowers. So I did the only thing I could do, seeing as how I was a church going kid and all. I lied and blamed it on Freddie. I loved that goat, but not so much that I wouldn't let him take the hit for something I did.
The reason I am writing about this is because while reading God's Word the other day I came across a passage in Leviticus about how they used to sacrifice goats for a sin offering. First, Aaron the high priest would sacrifice a perfect or spotless goat . Then they would bring in a second goat. But this time instead of killing it, Aaron would place his hands on its head and pray for the forgiveness of all the sins of the people of Israel. Then this goat would be given to someone who would lead it far out into the wilderness and set it loose. In effect, this goat took the heat for the peoples sins and carried them far away, never to be dealt with again. I am told that this is where we get the term "scapegoat" from.
That passage really stuck with me because, as I am sure it is meant to, it spoke to me about how Christ became the scapegoat for all of my sins and all of yours. That's a concept that after all these years I still have a hard time getting my mind around. He loved me so much that He died for me to forgive my sins. Just think about that for a while and see if it doesn't blow you away too.
I feel bad that Jesus had to do that for me, but knowing my nature and the nature of all of us, it had to be done.
My Jesus, thank you for your love, mercy, and grace. I am lost without you and the blame falls squarely on me. But you took that blame because you love me. I'll never be able to grasp that kind of love, but I accept it humbly. Thank you.

( and Freddie, wherever you are, sorry man. I owe you one.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Garry,
This really puts it in perspective. (However, a pet goat? I had no idea!)
Sherry B.