Friday, December 5, 2008

Buck Naked

Scripture Passage: Genesis 3:1-10

I thought that title might get your attention!

It amazes me how quickly in Scripture that we go from reading about God creating the world to reading about how that same creation was soiled by sin. It only takes until the third chapter for Adam and Eve to screw it up for the rest of us! In my bible it all happens by page 8! Then the rest of the bible is all about God's plan to get us back in good standing with him.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. I get up everyday around 7:00 and usually screw up my day by 7:30 or so. I would hazard a guess that it is pretty much the same with you. Sin is a part of our lives because it is part of who we are.
There are a lot of Christians who don't like to talk about sin. It doesn't fit with their "chicken soup" attitude towards God. Talking about sin doesn't make them feel good or give them that peaceful easy feeling. (props to the Eagles for that one.) To those people I would say that Jesus wasn't always peaceful, and following Him isn't always easy. And it is certainly more than a feeling. ( OK props to Boston…but that's enough music references). Not talking about sin is in effect, hiding it, and we all know how well that worked out for Adam.
Red Bull Christians, hereafter referred to as RBC's , admit that there is sin in their lives and deal with it on a daily basis. No hiding, no denying, but standing before God every day and confessing to Him how we blew it that day. There is no shame in that. The shame lies in not doing that. God's mercy and grace are unlimited and never ending, but we need to ask for that grace and for forgiveness. How can that happen if we are denying or trying to hide our sins? It simply can't.
I find it interesting that Adam and Eve were naked before sin and then tried to hide their nakedness after sin. What was that all about? We're naked before God regardless of our standing with Him. Not a nice thought I know, I own a mirror too. But thankfully, I am talking about being spiritually naked before God. Going before Him in prayer and worship and hiding nothing! It's not really hidden from Him anyway is it?
Here's the RBC challenge of the day. Find a quiet place, set aside as much time as necessary, minimize distractions and get this stuff taken care of! No holds barred, nothing off limits. Give it all up, discuss it with God and let Him do what no one else can do for you. Forgive you and heal you. It's what He does best.

It's like Red Bull for the Soul!

No comments: