Friday, November 14, 2008

Friends

One reason I blog is to write about personal things in hopes that I can somehow deal with them by putting it in writing before me. This is one of those times.

I've had a lot of friends over the years, and according to my late grandfather, one way to measure the worth of a man is to look at the character of the friends he has. Grandpa, once again you prove yourself to be a very wise man.

As many of you know, Diane and I left our church about a year and a half ago. We had been attending there for over 20 years and had many friends there. We worshiped and prayed together. We gathered at one another's homes for meals and times of sharing. I cannot begin to tell you how much those people mean to me. However, when we left the church, those same friends seemed to just disappear. No letters, emails, or phone calls. I tried to keep in contact, but there was very little, if any, response. I'm not sure why, and since I can't talk to them I may never really know. It's very disappointing and sad.

It's sad to think that all those friendships were just based on the fact that we attended the same church. I thought it went much deeper than that. In all fairness, it probably does. But there has to be some underlying reason that I am not aware of why we cannot be friends anymore. I hope to find out someday. Jer, Carl, Tony, Kevin, Bill, Mark. I miss you guys, a lot.

We have moved on to another church family now and I pray that some deep friendships will come from that as well.

The bright spot in all of this is one person who has never ceased to be my friend and I am proud to call him my best friend. His name is Craig V. and I value his friendship very much. He and I went through a lot of crap together over the last few years and have remained friends through it all.

To Craig: I am honored to be able to call you friend. Best friend. Thomas Edison once said; "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of kings." Dude, I don't know if you even own a pair of overalls but the sentiment is certainly true. Thanks buddy.

Jesus has called us His friends as well. Imagine if you will, that the Lord of All considers us his friend. That just blows me away. And this friendship is eternal. Ever changing but never ending. Wow!

So I have my wife, Craig V. and Jesus to call friend. If I am to be judged by the character of my friends then I am a very blessed man.

Until next time, let's pray about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.