Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Little g's

Scripture: 2 Samuel 7:18-29 MSG version

I'll be the first to admit that I have a lot of "small g" gods in my life. Things that I really love to do that very often I attach way too much importance to. Things like reading, television, internet, etc. None of these things are bad in and of themselves, but quite often I will let them take precedence over the really important areas of my life.
Whatever books that I am currently reading I keep on the nightstand next to the bed. Of course, my bible is there as well. You have no idea how many times I have struggled with which book to pick up, even when I haven't read scripture at all that day. I'm a little embarrassed as I write that because it should be a no brainer. Should be.
Due to this, it came as little surprise to me that as I read this passage, that God highlighted this for me, " throwing out nations and their gods left and right". That's what I am praying for right now at this point of the journey. That God will throw out all the "small g" gods in my life.
I encourage you to think this through for your own journey. What are the "small g" gods that might be getting in between God and you? Are you ready to pray that God will re-prioritize the habits of your life? I hope so. I'd like to hear how that goes for you because I'm just at the beginning of this process myself.
God has made me very aware that not only can sin divert us from our purpose, but that also sometimes good things can distract us from great things. I'm going to try and cut down on the diversions in my life. Cutting back on the little g's.

It's like Red Bull for the Soul!

No comments: