Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Giants and Lions and Bears...Oh My!


1 Samuel 17: 31-40

I've heard the story of David and Goliath a thousand times. It has always been presented to me as a story of courage and faith, which it certainly is. However, as God is apt to do from time to time, he has shown this story to me in a new perspective.
Henri Nouwen wrote, "Make the conscious choice to move the attention of your anxious heart away from the waves and direct it to the One who walks on them and says, "It's me. Don't be afraid"…
The story of David and Saul is a perfect example of what Nouwen wrote. Saul was at a loss at this time as a military leader and was desperate for a solution to defeating those pesky Philistines. Saul was watching the waves and was overwhelmed by their power.
David however, had a different approach. He proceeds to tell Saul that he can defeat this giant in a one on one battle. Why? Because God has already been with David in battles with wild animals as he tried to protect his flock. Davis had already defeated lions and bears singlehandedly. He says " God, who delivered me from the teeth of the lion and the claws of the bear, will deliver me from this Philistine," David wasn't watching the waves. His focus was on God, and if you are familiar with the story, you know that God didn't' let him down.
I am dealing with an issue right now in which I find it difficult to not focus on the waves. I will keep the details to myself, but suffice it to say that our family could use your prayers. I need to keep my focus on He who walked on the waves.
In these uncertain times it is sometimes difficult to be focused on the right thing. Sometime life looks like the movie poster for the "Perfect Storm". Insurmountable, unavoidable, and terrifying. But God has the power and the desire to see us through the storms if we trust him to.
We all need to take our eyes off of the waves, so when the giants, lions and bears come in our lives we will be prepared. Maybe a slingshot and some stones wouldn't be such a bad idea either.

No comments: