Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Get Your Hands Off My Stuff!

Scripture Passage: Job 1:6-22

I like stuff. I'm not afraid to admit it, I am a big fan of stuff. I collect stuff, I like to buy stuff, and I'm very select about who can touch my stuff. I don't have a lot of stuff, and it's stuff that really has no value to anyone but me. But I really love my stuff. I worked hard for my stuff. It's good stuff.

But what if, like Job, I lost all my stuff just like that. I'm here to tell you that I wouldn't take it well. I would be ticked. Job is quoted as saying that He was born into this world naked and he will go out naked. Very true Job, but even if your naked you can still carry some stuff!
I think I might have responded more along the lines of "Hey God, get your hands off my stuff! If you and Satan have got some kind of little contest going on here, that's between the two of you. Keep me out of it." Maybe your response would be similar.

I have to admit though, that the older I get the less value I put on stuff. My TV is 20 years old and my computer is 10 years old. I'm pretty low-tech and really that's fine with me. But I have several hundred books in my home, a few hundred CD's, many pictures of family and friends, and these are all very important to me. It's good stuff. I would really miss them if they were taken away. But to be honest, most of it could be replaced if they were gone.

Job's losses were on a much deeper, personal level. He lost his fortune, his health, and his family. In an instant, they were gone. Now that is gut-wrenching pain at its most intense. I'll bet that when he lost his family, he forgot all about his other stuff. Lately God has been pointing out to me what is really important in life. Family, friends, and most importantly, God. As our nation continues its downward spiral, I am trying to concentrate on the important things. I am trying to attach less importance and value on stuff .

Job had everything taken away from him and at one point was reduced to a sickly, poor, lonely old man sitting on a pile of ashes. But he remained faithful, and all was restored to him many times over. As I write this on my 10 year old computer, and sit and watch my 20 year old TV, I realize that I'm a long way away from a pile of ashes. I still have stuff, but it is not as important as it used to be. After all, its just stuff.

No comments: