Thursday, May 21, 2009

I Just Want to Bang On the Drum All Day!

Music has always been an important part of my life. Growing up as an only child ( I know, that explains a lot doesn't it? ) I spent many an hour in my room listening to my favorite rock groups. I can remember the thrill of buying a new 8- track tape or album and rushing home to put it on the stereo and crank it to 10.
Ah! yes. There was nothing better than listening to Steppenwolf, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Rush, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Iron Butterfly, Pink Floyd and a host of others. I have all of their music on CD now and it is timeless. My tastes have mellowed just a bit, I'm into Eric Clapton and Steve Earle now, but I still love to rock out.
I guess it is no wonder then that my sons are very musical too. Willis, my oldest son has been in several bands and is now leading worship and working on a new studio project. Chad is in a country rock band called Rebel Minds and is playing in clubs all over southwest Michigan.
And me? I just started playing percussion and doing back up vocals for a rock / blues band called Bridgetown. I have been playing music on and off with some of these guys for almost 30 years!
I am hoping that soon all three of us will be able to do a project together, before I get too old to do it.
I write about this because music has become a common bond between the members of our family. No matter the occasion we can sit for hours just talking about the music we like, new music we have heard, or even get out the instruments and jam for a while. Even if I don't like the music my sons are in to, I get an enormous charge out of hearing them play it. I try to make every gig my boys get just so I can listen to them play.
What is the bond between your family members and what are you doing on a personal level to strengthen that bond? Maybe you will need to work on creating a bond right from scratch. It can be done.
When family members bond together for a common purpose, great things are accomplished. This can occur in church families too.
So find something you can all get into, and then get into it.
And the next time you hear that Times of Falling, or Rebel Minds, or Bridgetown is playing somewhere, come on out! I promise the music will be great!

No comments: